Oct 26

Chart Web Part toolbar links

I saw someone mention this on the #SPHelp hashtag yesterday and thought I’d throw it up here to help anyone else looking for this fix. When you use a Chart Web Part to display an Excel graph, it will contain 2 links just under the web part title titles “Data & Appearance” and “Advanced Properties”

Say you want to remove these links, or even remove the title completely. The latter is easy; just edit the web part properties and change the Chrome attribute to a choice with no title. Removing the links is a a bit more work. In order to do so, you’ll have to open up the page which contains the Chart Web Part in SPD. Select the web part on the page; your code for that web part should highlight itself above in the code view. In the first line of that code, search for this line:

Change this ShowToolbar attribute to “False”, save the page, refresh it in your browser and check out the results:

Simple fix, but not one thats easily apparent, especially if you never venture inside SPD to poke around. Hope it helps :)

Oct 26

ULS log Event ID 5240 “There was an error in communicating with Excel Calculation Services”

I started seeing this error in my ULS logs, and the Event Viewer on the server was packed full of red x’s. Fount this TechNet article that talked about this specific error – http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee513104.aspx. My error text mentioned a service account that hasn’t has any problems otherwise, but for whatever reason it cant communicate with the Excel Services app. The “solution” to fix it proposed by Microsoft was to restart the server. Now, during my IT support days we would use this to fix 99% of those “my computer is broken” type tickets. I just didn’t think dropping the entire app server during the day would make my users very happy, so I kept looking.

I ran across this article from Eric Harlan about how to look through IIS to find out which Web Application is controlling your Service Applications. Using his process, I figured out which app pool contained my Excel Services service app. In our environment it contains all of our Office service applications (Excel, Word, PP, Visio, Access). I recycled this specific Application Pool and my Event View is no longer a sea of red. It’s been a few days now since I recycled it and I haven’t seen the error come back, so I’ll chalk this one up as complete :)